Dive planner improvements [was: Fixes pushed]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Nov 15 11:09:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 19:43 +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:

> Some things still needs some polish before the release, though:
>
> (1) I'm unable to select a gas in the "Available gases" dialog.  The
> correct mix & bar is displayed when I scroll through the pull-down
> menu, but immediately snaps back to AL80.  Manual editing works fine.

Not sure what you mean...
You click on a gas. Select it with the mouse. The hit return on the
keyboard. Totally intuitive, isn't it?

> (2) The number in the "Switch at" column should have the correct unit
> attached to it ("21m" instead of "21").

Why? I'm serious, we try to avoid units in general, why do you think we
need them here? Should that be in the column title? "Switch at (m)" and
"Switch at (ft)"?

> (3) The gases that are added in "Available gases" should be available
> in the "Dive Planner Points" --> "Used Gas" pulldown menu

Yeah, I looked at that and didn't know how to do this. I just assumed
everyone used the graphical planner now! :-)

> (4) When I put "1.4" in the "CC Set Point" column, it immediately
> changes to "1400".  It shouldn't.

Umm - I haven't even played with the CCR part of the planner.
So consider that completely untested.

> (5) The "CC Set Point" column shouldn't be shown for OC diving

How do we tell whether the user does CC or OC?

> (6) The automatically added O2 gas switch event should be shown as an
> (uneditable) node on the graph.  It should be visible in the "Dive
> Planner Points" table as well, probably as an uneditable row.

ok, now you lost me ;-)

> (7) The "Available Gases" table should have a column named "Deco gas"
> with a checkbox indicating whether this is a deco gas or not

Why? Or asked differently... can you explain the use case?

> (8) Left-clicking a node should only select/move the node.  The
> combined select/move/gas list selector functionality is confusing.

Hu?

> (9) Right-clicking a node should show a context menu list with "remove
> this point" + the gas list selector

I'm totally lost what you are talking about. The graphical editor?
You click on the gas to change the gas.

> (10) The increase/decrease time/depth icons needs to be placed better
> and look more intuitive.  I've attached an (ugly) mockup as
> planner-zoom-buttons.jpg

;-)

> (11) The "Dive Planner Points" should show have a column showing the
> amount of gas used (preferrably in litres)

Yes, eventually I thought of doing calculations to compare the amount of
gas used vs. the tanks selected.

> (12) The "Start Time" and "ATM Pressure" text is squeezed into the
> title bar.  Add some pixels to make it slightly more roomy up there :)

???

OK. This great list of feedback gets me back to a point that I have made
a few times these past week.

I wish I had never added the planner. < 1% of our users want it. But it
creates > 50% of the work. If it wasn't for the planner we'd have had a
Subsurface 4 release at least a month ago.

I think I will simply disable the feature for Subsurface 4 and be done
with it. There are man months of work left to be done. For a total of
(high estimate) 10 users. This is just not worth it.

Patch forthcoming.