Dive planner improvements [was: Fixes pushed]

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Nov 15 11:30:05 UTC 2013

On Nov 15, 2013, at 8:09 PM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 19:43 +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
>
>> (6) The automatically added O2 gas switch event should be shown as an
>> (uneditable) node on the graph.  It should be visible in the "Dive
>> Planner Points" table as well, probably as an uneditable row.
>
> ok, now you lost me ;-)
>
>> (7) The "Available Gases" table should have a column named "Deco gas"
>> with a checkbox indicating whether this is a deco gas or not
>
> Why? Or asked differently... can you explain the use case?

Deco gases should be switched to automatically at the appropriate depths. If gas switches always happen at "dive planner points", those should be inserted at the time when the appropriate depth (like 21m for EAN50 or 6m for O2) are reached.

> OK. This great list of feedback gets me back to a point that I have made
> a few times these past week.
>
> I wish I had never added the planner. < 1% of our users want it. But it
> creates > 50% of the work. If it wasn't for the planner we'd have had a
> Subsurface 4 release at least a month ago.
>
> I think I will simply disable the feature for Subsurface 4 and be done
> with it. There are man months of work left to be done. For a total of
> (high estimate) 10 users. This is just not worth it.

Dirk, please, please, don't. I think you are strongly underestimating the number of tech divers that would love such a planner (that is almost usable at this point!).

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de