Dive planner improvements [was: Fixes pushed]

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Fri Nov 15 11:37:09 UTC 2013

Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-11-15 at 19:43 +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
>
>> Some things still needs some polish before the release, though:
>>
>> (1) I'm unable to select a gas in the "Available gases" dialog.  The
>> correct mix&  bar is displayed when I scroll through the pull-down
>> menu, but immediately snaps back to AL80.  Manual editing works fine.
>
> Not sure what you mean...
> You click on a gas. Select it with the mouse. The hit return on the
> keyboard. Totally intuitive, isn't it?

If we need a mouse+keyboard combo, that's not intuitive. Anyway, that
doesn't work on my Mac for some reason. I should be able to select from
the context menu with the mouse.  Look at the video I attached and you
see what I mean. :)

>> (2) The number in the "Switch at" column should have the correct unit
>> attached to it ("21m" instead of "21").
>
> Why? I'm serious, we try to avoid units in general, why do you think we
> need them here? Should that be in the column title? "Switch at (m)" and
> "Switch at (ft)"?

We should either have units in the title or in the fields.  I was just
suggesting to do the same thing we do with several other fields in the
same table, both WorkPress and gases have units in them (232.0bar, 18%).

>> (3) The gases that are added in "Available gases" should be available
>> in the "Dive Planner Points" -->  "Used Gas" pulldown menu
>
> Yeah, I looked at that and didn't know how to do this. I just assumed
> everyone used the graphical planner now! :-)

We need to have both :)

>> (4) When I put "1.4" in the "CC Set Point" column, it immediately
>> changes to "1400".  It shouldn't.
>
> Umm - I haven't even played with the CCR part of the planner.
> So consider that completely untested.

Will do.  Still needs fixing, though.

>> (5) The "CC Set Point" column shouldn't be shown for OC diving
>
> How do we tell whether the user does CC or OC?

Checkbox next to "Last stop at 6 meters", or setting in the preferences.

>> (6) The automatically added O2 gas switch event should be shown as an
>> (uneditable) node on the graph.  It should be visible in the "Dive
>> Planner Points" table as well, probably as an uneditable row.
>
> ok, now you lost me ;-)

We add a gas change automatically when we have a deco gas available.
That should be visible in the graph and in the dive planner points table.

>> (7) The "Available Gases" table should have a column named "Deco gas"
>> with a checkbox indicating whether this is a deco gas or not
>
> Why? Or asked differently... can you explain the use case?

A deco gas is automatically used in the plan.  What if I want to use
EANx32 as a deco gas?   How do we tell the buhlmann algorithm which
gases should be used for deco without that checkbox?

Every other dive planners I have used differentiate between bottom gases
and deco gases for this reason.

>> (8) Left-clicking a node should only select/move the node.  The
>> combined select/move/gas list selector functionality is confusing.
>
> Hu?

Look at the video.   When I try moving a node on the profile (using the
left mouse button), sometimes the "select gas" context menu pops up.

The left mouse should only be used for selecting (click), adding (double
click) and moving (click-and-drag).

>> (9) Right-clicking a node should show a context menu list with "remove
>> this point" + the gas list selector
>
> I'm totally lost what you are talking about. The graphical editor?
> You click on the gas to change the gas.

Again, look at the video.  A right-click on a node in the profile pops
up a context menu with one entry: "Remove this point".  Combine that
with the list of gases to that as well, e.g. like this:

   Remove this point
   18/45
   EANx50

I've attached a screenshot where the left-click context menu and the
right-click context menu somehow end up on top of each other
(profile-gases.jpg)

>> (11) The "Dive Planner Points" should show have a column showing the
>> amount of gas used (preferrably in litres)
>
> Yes, eventually I thought of doing calculations to compare the amount of
> gas used vs. the tanks selected.

Good!

>> (12) The "Start Time" and "ATM Pressure" text is squeezed into the
>> title bar.  Add some pixels to make it slightly more roomy up there :)
>
> ???

This is just UI related, and probably just on the Mac.  There is no
spacing between the text and the title bar, which makes it look ugly.
See the attached spacing.jpg.

> I wish I had never added the planner.<  1% of our users want it. But it
> creates>  50% of the work. If it wasn't for the planner we'd have had a
> Subsurface 4 release at least a month ago.
>
> I think I will simply disable the feature for Subsurface 4 and be done
> with it. There are man months of work left to be done. For a total of
> (high estimate) 10 users. This is just not worth it.

Please don't remove the planner.  I think you are underestimating the
planner needs for the Tec people.

And most of the things I have listed here are just UI bugs, even though
it seems I'm unable to explain them properly for some reason.  It's the
last piece of polish to make the planner really usable.

Cheers,
Henrik