Change panel/frames order?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Nov 16 19:38:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 18:23 -0800, Pablo Wolter wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>

> In Subsurface the window is divided in 3 sections. On the top left
> side is the “Dive Notes/Equipment/Dive Info/Stats” section, which I’ll
> call Panel 1. On the top right side is the dive profile graph, which
> I’ll call Panel 2. Bellow or in the bottom side is the “Dive
> #/Date/ft/min/Location” section, Panel 3.

Actually, there are four. You are ignoring the globe...

> Panel 3 columns seem to be pretty fixed once a user has decided what
> he wants to see there. I was thinking on adding the option to “move”
> the panels around. For example I would like to have the Panel 2 on top
> and bellow it Panel 1 and Panel 3. So the graph is wider/bigger than
> the lists. Specially Panel 1 which is pretty fixed and Panel 3 is
> customizable (to fit a smaller space).
>

> What do you guys think? Worth a shot?

I wonder how confusing this would be to users. Especially how hard it
would be to explain this well in the manual. I can, however, see how a
more flexible layout might be interesting to some users...

But playing around with the window sizes... given that what you call
panel 1 (the info tabs) is pretty demanding regarding its height (it
does gain a scrollbar if you have too little space, but that really
hurts usability) - putting that next to the dive list (panel 3) gives
you a very tall dive list - and therefore a wide but possibly not very
tall profile...

So let's say I'm not convinced. Can you use gimp or something like that
to produce a couple of convincing mockups that show that this would be
worth it? Or you can just shuffle them around in qt-designer...
whichever is easier for you.

Thanks