Divelogs.de integration

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Nov 17 07:26:27 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 09:38 +0200, Benjamin wrote:
> The issue would mostly exist if there were changes of the time between
> dumps of the computer, right? Is this an actual use case?

We have this discussion on this mailing list every six months or so.

There are a couple of "dive computers without user interface" - just
dive trackers, basically, that use the time of the computer when
downloading to determine when the dives were. Here you can run into
problems if you dive in Palau and then download a couple days later at
home (or in Tokyo while changing planes). There is no simple fix,
though, as those trackers simply have no concept of time zones other
than what the downloading computer tells them - so worst case if you
didn't download in the correct timezone you need to fix the date/time
after the fact.

For all other cases. If you don't set the time on your divecomputer to
local time, you get EXACTLY what you deserve. We will not add attempts
to use gps coordinates to address this. Why? You won't get GPS
coordinates from the Android companion app unless the time on your dive
is correct. The risk of messing up perfectly correct data just for a few
people who are too lazy to fix the time on their computers is simply not
worth it.

I am politely ending the discussion of this topic.

/D