Change panel/frames order?

Pablo Wolter pwolter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 13:22:10 UTC 2013

Dirk,

Sorry it took me too long to be able to do the layout to show it … it is attached. Sorry the quality … I’m not good at this. Tried GIMP but just couldn’t figure it out.

As you can see I’m propose=ing the option to move the different windows around … I like the one I showed in the attach. The list on the left side and the options on the right. They are connected so for me makes sense have them side-by-side.

I don’t like to have the map/globe on all the time. So I just have it now all reduced to the right. Will make sense maybe put it as an additional tab next to Dive Notes / Equipment / Dive Info / Stats?

On Nov 16, 2013, at 7:38 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-11-16 at 18:23 -0800, Pablo Wolter wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>

>> In Subsurface the window is divided in 3 sections. On the top left
>> side is the “Dive Notes/Equipment/Dive Info/Stats” section, which I’ll
>> call Panel 1. On the top right side is the dive profile graph, which
>> I’ll call Panel 2. Bellow or in the bottom side is the “Dive
>> #/Date/ft/min/Location” section, Panel 3.
>
> Actually, there are four. You are ignoring the globe...
>
>> Panel 3 columns seem to be pretty fixed once a user has decided what
>> he wants to see there. I was thinking on adding the option to “move”
>> the panels around. For example I would like to have the Panel 2 on top
>> and bellow it Panel 1 and Panel 3. So the graph is wider/bigger than
>> the lists. Specially Panel 1 which is pretty fixed and Panel 3 is
>> customizable (to fit a smaller space).
>>

>> What do you guys think? Worth a shot?
>
> I wonder how confusing this would be to users. Especially how hard it
> would be to explain this well in the manual. I can, however, see how a
> more flexible layout might be interesting to some users...
>
> But playing around with the window sizes... given that what you call
> panel 1 (the info tabs) is pretty demanding regarding its height (it
> does gain a scrollbar if you have too little space, but that really
> hurts usability) - putting that next to the dive list (panel 3) gives
> you a very tall dive list - and therefore a wide but possibly not very
> tall profile...
>
> So let's say I'm not convinced. Can you use gimp or something like that
> to produce a couple of convincing mockups that show that this would be
> worth it? Or you can just shuffle them around in qt-designer...
> whichever is easier for you.
>
> Thanks
>
> /D

Saludos,