update

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Sat Oct 5 14:16:18 UTC 2013

On sábado, 5 de outubro de 2013 13:59:22, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Qt packages from the qt-project.org don't even install pkg-config
> files :-(

Because I'm a losing voice in having pkg-config support. The rest of the
community is happy with using qmake only. Even cmake calls out to qmake to get
the right paths for the -I, -F and -L flags.

There's also a (reasonable) fear that pkg-config isn't suitable for frameworks
or Windows environments, including builds with MSVC.

> I had to manually create them. I'm quite frustrated with the way Qt is
> packaged, TBH. One of the reasons we walked away from Gtk and to Qt was
> the promise of decent support for Windows and Mac.
> Have you looked at the instructions to build a Mac bundle???

Not very attentively, no. The instruction I give people is to use the
macdeployqt script, but I have never personally tried it. I'm actually more
familiar with deployment on Windows, even though I understand the theory
behind bundles on Mac.

> Read through this
> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/deployment-mac.html and tell me
> with a straight face that the Qt people who thought that is a user
> friendly solution were not completely stoned when they wrote that.
> It's batshit crazy. Even Gtk has better tooling than that. As a matter
> of fact, I'm considering hacking the Gtk tools to build my Qt bundle.
>
> That's an embarrassment.

Indeed. No excuse there. We have been sloppy with deployment and it's known.

Hopefully I can write some scripts to automate the tasks.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358