update

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Oct 5 14:30:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 14:16 -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sábado, 5 de outubro de 2013 13:59:22, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > Qt packages from the qt-project.org don't even install pkg-config
> > files :-(
>
> Because I'm a losing voice in having pkg-config support. The rest of the
> community is happy with using qmake only. Even cmake calls out to qmake to get
> the right paths for the -I, -F and -L flags.

Then we either need to switch to qmake as well (as discussed on IRC) or
we need to use qmake to get the flags instead of pkg-config.

> There's also a (reasonable) fear that pkg-config isn't suitable for frameworks
> or Windows environments, including builds with MSVC.

I can see that.

> > I had to manually create them. I'm quite frustrated with the way Qt is
> > packaged, TBH. One of the reasons we walked away from Gtk and to Qt was
> > the promise of decent support for Windows and Mac.
> > Have you looked at the instructions to build a Mac bundle???
>
> Not very attentively, no. The instruction I give people is to use the
> macdeployqt script, but I have never personally tried it. I'm actually more
> familiar with deployment on Windows, even though I understand the theory
> behind bundles on Mac.

There is absolutely ZERO NO NADA documentation for macdeployqt. There is
no manpage. There are no examples. The help output is completely
useless. I am more than happy to try using that, but unless someone
shows me HOW...

> > Read through this
> > http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/deployment-mac.html and tell me
> > with a straight face that the Qt people who thought that is a user
> > friendly solution were not completely stoned when they wrote that.
> > It's batshit crazy. Even Gtk has better tooling than that. As a matter
> > of fact, I'm considering hacking the Gtk tools to build my Qt bundle.
> >
> > That's an embarrassment.
>
> Indeed. No excuse there. We have been sloppy with deployment and it's known.
>
> Hopefully I can write some scripts to automate the tasks.

That would be great. I'll be happy to test and to contribute (just like
I did for the Gtk scripts :-) ). But I need someone who understands and
knows how things are SUPPOSED to work to help me and guide me -
otherwise I'll just adapt the Gtk scripts as those I understand
already :-)