What happened to the profile?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Oct 7 08:57:27 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> (but my problem is the definition of "cannot be interpreted"... I'd much
> rather want a function that I can tell "USE C LOCALE")

Here. It's almost completely untested, but hey, it's better than what
we have now

It does *not* care about INF/NaN, and it does *not* try to handle some
strange conditions (overflow/underflow), and I do *not* guarantee that
it doesn't have rounding issues.

That said, for our native format, we never print odd FP numbers anyway
(since we use fixed-point integer arithmetic), and while we *do* care
about exponents for some of the odder import formats (I remember
seeing them in jdivelog output), we don't care about the crazy cases.
So rather than worry about getting the edge cases right for the max
double exponents (around +-308), it just says "screw you" and gives
you something close enough.

So what it *does* try to do is handle the actual parsing right, and
get the right answer for all the reasonable cases.

Works-For-Me(tm).

                        Linus