qmake-based buildsystem

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Oct 7 20:01:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-07 at 19:38 -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On domingo, 6 de outubro de 2013 19:46:18, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I've begun experimenting with a qmake-based buildsystem
> >
> > You can find it at http://github.com/thiagomacieira/subsurface.git
> >
> > This is highly experimental! The branch rebases and force pushes! You've
> > been warned!
> >
> > The new BS does build Subsurface on Linux. I have no reason to doubt that it
> > will build on Mac too. As for Windows, it remains to be seen, it probably
> > just works with a proper cross-compiler and a cross-pkg-config. Native
> > Windows building should work if you have pkg-config.exe, which I doubt
> > anyone does.
> >
> > I've also implemented installation rules for Linux. Install rules for Mac
> > and Windows are pending.
> >
> > I haven't implemented the install rules for translations yet. This is
> > pending a decision on whether we're switching from Gettext .mo to Linguist
> > .qm files, which also changes the buildsystem.
>
> I've made some progress today and I rebased the branch.

Great

> I've also managed to build on Mac and Linux, including a cross-build to
> Windows. I wasn't able to compile Marble on Windows, so I'll just copy the
> DLLs for it and libxml2, libxslt, libusbx there.

I was going to try and get a native build environment on Windows up
tomorrow (assuming I have time). Personally I care more about the cross
build, but I know that some developers like Lubomir prefer to build
natively.

> The application loaded fine on Mac. I haven't tried the Windows one yet because
> the machine is in the office (and I can't convince wine to find the DLLs).

Linus, Lubomir, Henrik, Robert, Miika... everyone else... can you guys
test Thiago's work? I think the easiest would be to clone his repository
above into a different directory and simply give it a try.

Any feedback is useful. I think switching to qmake is the right way to
go, but I don't want to get everyone mad at me... (and Thiago).

To this effect... Thiago, would you post a quick one or two paragraphs
how this is supposed to work? Most folks aren't on IRC...