qmake-based buildsystem

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 08:29:07 UTC 2013

On 8 October 2013 18:13, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:
> On terça-feira, 8 de outubro de 2013 12:04:02, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>> compiles fine for me on linux. i basically tried doing the same thing
>> last night and qmake pretty much _just worked_ with a few additions.
>>
>> and now i can try helping the build on native windows. first have to
>> install Qt 4.x and hopefully the marble people provide mingw libraries
>> files and headers for their marblewidget.dll that i saw in their
>> windows desktop package. if not, perhaps someone could zip them up for
>> me from the cross build packages...
>
> I tried building and cmake started generating a Makefile for Microsoft Visual
> Studio 2012, even though cl.exe was nowhere to be found on $PATH. So I told it
> to generate a MinGW Makefile and it told me "nah-ah, you have sh.exe on $PATH,
> so you want MSYS Makefile instead". But it didn't work for that, nor did the
> MinGW Makefile work when I opened cmd.exe.
>
> It was a lot easier to cross-compile from Linux.
>
> I can send you the DLL pair. I *think* the MinGW that Qt 4.8 comes with is
> compatible with the one that Fedora uses. I know for a fact that the next one
> for Qt 5.2 will not be, due to a binary incompatible change on the exception
> model.

i was able to build the marble earlier today directly from cmd.exe
with mingw-gcc-4.4 (for Qt4.8) by following this:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/WindowsCompiling#Compiling_Marble_using_MingW

my current issue is the lack of xml2-config, xslt-config scripts on
Windows. i think they don't provide them for win32
i've tried writing !bin/sh scripts with no extensions, but it seems
qmake $$system() still does not find them or i may have to put them in
PATH first.
but given marble seems good-to-go and i have the old libraries that we
used for subsurface-gtk i don't see any big show stoppers.

will experiment more later.

>> BTW is true that Qt6 will no longer use qmake?
>> i read this in a qmake bug report page.
>
> About one year ago, there was a discussion of switching buildsystems. A few
> other people and I put a stop on it before the 5.0 launch. We definitely did
> not need the earth moving under our feet. But now that we're working on 5.2,
> it seems no one is interested in changing buildsystems.

thanks, good to know.

lubomir