building ss

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Wed Oct 9 00:29:01 UTC 2013

On 09.10.2013, at 08:51, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Thank you very much for your responses.
>
> On 08/10/2013 21:56, Robert Wolfe wrote:
>> A quick (I believe) 'sudo apt-get install libzip-dev' should fix your problem.
>>

> Check the following:
>
> willem at willem-Precision-M4700:~$ sudo apt-get install libxml2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglib2.0-dev libgconf2-dev libsoup2.4-dev libxslt1-dev zlib1g-dev libosmgpsmap-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev autoconf libtool
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> // some output removed here: all packages already present in newest version
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
>
> willem at willem-Precision-M4700:~$ sudo apt-get install libzip-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> libzip-dev is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
>
> willem at willem-Precision-M4700:~/subsurface$ make
>     CC parse-xml.c
> parse-xml.c:15:20: fatal error: sqlite3.h: No such file or directory           // previous problem solved, but new dependency problem
> compilation terminated.
> make: *** [parse-xml.o] Error 1
>
> I am more used to this sort of problem with Windows, not in Linux. What do I do wrong? I am following the instuctions on the Build page of the subsurface web site.

Willem,

it seems the build instructions are not up to date. In this case you also need to

sudo apt-get install libsqlite3-dev

Generally, for these types of problems (header files missing) I would google for "sqlite3.h debian" to figure out which package I need. And indeed the first search result gives you the answer.

BTW, are you sure you don't want to install subsurface 3.1.1 as a package? http://subsurface.hohndel.org/download/ describes how you do that for Ubuntu 12.10 LTS.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F