make install on Mac

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 9 07:20:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 14:45 +0200, Robert Helling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I never tried to install so far as I was always running from the build directory. Now I tried:
>
> th-ws-tmpim01:subsurface helling$ sudo make install
> Password:
> /opt/local/bin/macdeployqt Subsurface.app
> ERROR: "install_name_tool: changing install names or rpaths can't be redone for: Subsurface.app/Contents/Frameworks/libtiff.5.dylib (for architecture x86_64) because larger updated load commands do not fit (the program must be relinked, and you may need to use -headerpad or -headerpad_max_install_names)
> "
> ERROR: ""
> ERROR: "install_name_tool: changing install names or rpaths can't be redone for: Subsurface.app/Contents/Frameworks/libtiff.5.dylib (for architecture x86_64) because larger updated load commands do not fit (the program must be relinked, and you may need to use -headerpad or -headerpad_max_install_names)
> "

I remember this from when I wrote the Gtk packaging stuff. Yes, we need
to add that flag to the link line on Mac so that the information in the
shared object can be overwritten at install time.

Thiago must have a longer path to the subsurface sources than you and
I :-)

> ERROR: ""
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/accessible/libqtaccessiblewidgets.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/accessible/libqtaccessiblewidgets.dylib"

Can you find out why this fails? Do these not exist on your system? Are
they elsewhere?

> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/codecs/libqcncodecs.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/codecs/libqcncodecs.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/codecs/libqjpcodecs.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/codecs/libqjpcodecs.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/codecs/libqkrcodecs.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/codecs/libqkrcodecs.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/codecs/libqtwcodecs.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/codecs/libqtwcodecs.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/imageformats/libqgif.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqgif.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/imageformats/libqico.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqico.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/imageformats/libqjpeg.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqjpeg.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/imageformats/libqmng.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqmng.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/imageformats/libqtga.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqtga.dylib"
> ERROR: file copy failed from "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/imageformats/libqtiff.dylib"
> ERROR:  to "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/imageformats/libqtiff.dylib"
> WARNING:
> WARNING: "Subsurface.app/Contents/Resources/qt.conf" already exists, will not overwrite.

Interesting - so you tried to install multiple times?