make install on Mac

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Wed Oct 9 10:21:10 UTC 2013

On quarta-feira, 9 de outubro de 2013 07:20:48, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-10-09 at 14:45 +0200, Robert Helling wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I never tried to install so far as I was always running from the build
> > directory. Now I tried:
> >
> > th-ws-tmpim01:subsurface helling$ sudo make install
> > Password:
> > /opt/local/bin/macdeployqt Subsurface.app
> > ERROR: "install_name_tool: changing install names or rpaths can't be
> > redone for: Subsurface.app/Contents/Frameworks/libtiff.5.dylib (for
> > architecture x86_64) because larger updated load commands do not fit (the
> > program must be relinked, and you may need to use -headerpad or
> > -headerpad_max_install_names) "
> > ERROR: ""
> > ERROR: "install_name_tool: changing install names or rpaths can't be
> > redone for: Subsurface.app/Contents/Frameworks/libtiff.5.dylib (for
> > architecture x86_64) because larger updated load commands do not fit (the
> > program must be relinked, and you may need to use -headerpad or
> > -headerpad_max_install_names) "
>
> I remember this from when I wrote the Gtk packaging stuff. Yes, we need
> to add that flag to the link line on Mac so that the information in the
> shared object can be overwritten at install time.
>
> Thiago must have a longer path to the subsurface sources than you and
> I :-)

/Users/tjmaciei/src/subsurface. It's not particularly long.

But I do see this in the Makefile:

LFLAGS        = -headerpad_max_install_names -arch x86_64

Is it not there for you guys?

> > ERROR: ""
> > ERROR: file copy failed from
> > "/opt/local/share/qt4/plugins/accessible/libqtaccessiblewidgets.dylib"
> > ERROR:  to
> > "Subsurface.app/Contents/PlugIns/accessible/libqtaccessiblewidgets.dylib"
> Can you find out why this fails? Do these not exist on your system? Are
> they elsewhere?

I managed to reproduce that error once, but it went away next time.

Also, please focus on make mac-deploy  or make mac-create-dmg

> Interesting - so you tried to install multiple times?

That would be my guess too.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358