new buildsystem merged into master

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Oct 9 16:02:10 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> If it's correctly installed it links against the shared library.

.. and then it doesn't actually RUN, because the shared library is in
/usr/local/lib, and the libdivecomputer install doesn't actually run
ldconfig on it.

More importantly, the shared library is pure and utter *garbage*
technically, since it's basically unversioned and there are only
disadvantages from sharing.

So please. Don't *ever* use the shared one. It's stupid.  It's a
mistake. Didn't we go through this long ago? The Debian people can do
their own f*cking thing to satisfy their black little hearts that care
more about their idiotic policies than about actual technical issues.

> In which scenario does this fail for you?

The standard one "make ; make install", ie normal build rules.

          Linus