new buildsystem merged into master

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Oct 9 16:16:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Of course this does
> a) break things on Windows again
> b) create the insane situation that we link statically against
> libdivecomputer but dynamically against libusb which libdivecomputer
> needs

As to (b), why would that be a problem?

libusb is actually fairly commonly used, and it *is* versioned.

So doing a shared link against it is perfectly sane. So when you say
"insane situation", you are clearly not thinking about technical
issues, but about something else.

Quite frankly, I think "technically sane" is a whole lot more
important than pretty much anything else. Especially considering how
integral libdivecomputer is to us, I think the only correct way to
think about it is to see it as an internal library.

Do you think that it's an "insane situation" that we link statically
to qt-ui/simplewidgets.o, but then link dynamically to libQtGui.so.4?
Obviously nobody thinks that is insane.

As to windows issues, I have no idea. Why don't AR files work under windows?

              Linus