building on MacOS

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Oct 10 09:43:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-10 at 18:19 +0200, Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr wrote:
> hi!
>
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 13:59:21 -0700,
> Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > The instructions have been updated in master (about 15 minutes ago)
>
> yeah, the new instructions will work fine.

Good.

> [...]
> > They are if you installed brew as the first user of /usr/local
>
> good question, i don't think that i've used /usr/local for anything else,
> but it was a mix of group-writeable for admin and non-groupwriteable.

Ok, that's strange, but who knows how that happened. Worst case a 'sudo'
will fix things.

> > That seems a little less than what I am used to seeing in Mac crash
> > reports.
>
> it is, i've type what i thought was the relevant part in by hand (different
> machine/terminal/...).

I know that feeling SO WELL.

> i've recompiled it based on todays pull from master
> (44e43356e241c102f4edf9e3a42dede8b548177a), and it still crashes on
> startup.
>
> below the full report. i'll try later today to build on another machine to
> see if it's something in my setup.

Interesting as I ran into EXACTLY this crash a few minutes ago.
I can't explain it, but this helped for me.

make clean
rm -rf Subsurface.app
make
open Subsurface.app

It seems that when building different versions of Subsurface with the
same target (Subsurface.app) something incompatible ended up in that
directory...

Weird.

> Model: Macmini4,1, BootROM MM41.0042.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.65f2
> Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, PCI, 256 MB

Cute system... I have an even older one that doesn't quite make it
through a build... it has only 2G of memory and can't seem to complete
the rebuild of Qt :-(