dive printing

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 03:08:07 UTC 2013

On 14 October 2013 21:31, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> I use the Qt git master version. At this link:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/gykri6s7mg308yi/Screenshot%20from%202013-10-14%2018%3A23%3A45.png
>
>  you can see what one version of my personal divebook pages looks like. I have a paper
> copy because I need some of the important dives to be signed off afterwards.
>
> Look at the dive profile, in this case obtained from the print preview
> of subsurface:
> 1) the numbers on the axes (depth and time) small and very
> light-coloured. As indicated in my previous mail, I normally improve
> this using Gimp, using a four-step process.
> 2) The O2-partial pressure information (bottom right) is almost unreadable.
> 3) In general, larger lettering on the graph would be very helpful.
>
> I know this is something rather personal, but I do believe a
> good-quality monochrome image should not necessarily translate red or
> green lettering in the colour image to a grey colour in monochrome. The
> profile as is is perfect (more than perfect!) for visual inspection on
> the screen. But I think it is not optimal for documentation purposes.

just sent a serieс of patches to the mailing list that would address
some of the issues.

a couple of notes here. apparently ATM we can render the profile in
vector graphics, which would allow you to take good screenshots from
PDF at any size, but our tables remain in raster. this is basically a
topic i would like to discuss with others - i.e. if we should leave
the tables in raster but make the profile in vector and what is
possible in Qt and what-not.

for now everything is raster (pixelated) and i suggest that you print
at a high DPI and only take screenshots when the print preview or PDF
is at 100% view size. following a resize on such a screenshot will
then have some distortion and/or blur due to interpolation and/or
filtering.

lubomir