air consumption estimation algorithm

roberto forini forini.r at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 10:29:34 UTC 2013

Good evening,
sorry for my bad english, i'm new to the mailing list and i'm new also to
subsurface but i apreciate it a lot. Unfortunately i'm unable to join your
developing team (maybe next year!!) but i would like to share a very simple
way to estimate the air consumption without the exact data from the gas
sensors.
I was thinking if it is possible to estimate the air consumption during the
dive.During my dives i usually take note about the start pressure and final
pressure of the tanks (backgas, deco, argon tank etc). Subsurface (3.1.1
for windows) only generate a smooth quadratic curve from the start pressure
to the end pressure of the relative tank of all the gas. (see picture 1).
 I did it only with a simple datasheet calculation and the result is the
graph in the very right of the picture 2. It gives a quite real air
consumption curve. In the picture 2 you can see the yellow curve that is
the linear consumptioni curve, the red curve is the estimation and the blue
curve is the depth extract from xml file of the dive. i've check the
estimation many time and works great for me! I know that is only a "beauty
function" but maybe could be interesting compare the estimation with a real
curve extract from sensors data.

thank you