Problems with dive planning module.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Oct 17 02:18:09 UTC 2013

Having spent a lot of time playing around with the Dive planning module,
trying to do anything (even stupid) that a user might attempt. There are
several issues:

BUGS
1) Setting the 'Last stop at 6m' setting has no effect at all on the
final dive plan.

2) Scaling:  The scaling on the Time axis of the plan, using the '+' and
'v' buttons: If you magnify along the time axis using the 'v' button,
even after full scale has been reached, it keeps record of the number of
clicks. So if you click 'v' 5 times after full scale has already been
reached and then you then want to reduce the size of the profile along
the time axis, one needs to to click the '+' button 6 times before the
image is reduced. It looks like a pointer is updated or increased every
time one hits the 'v' button, and decreased every time one hits the '+'
button. But this happens irrespective of whether the image of the
profile has actually changed. I have managed to hang Subsurface several
times now (having had to force-kill the process) by hitting the 'v'
button several times after full magnification and then the '+' button,
trying to reduce the size of the image. It seems that the 'v' button
should only lead to any action (including background management) if the
image is not at maximum size. Maybe the '+' button also needs attention
with respect to the status of the graphics display. I hope this is
understandable!

3) Several dive plans in dive list: When a dive plan is saved, it gets
listed in the dive list, together with all one's other real-world logged
dives. Now, if one creates the same dive plan more than twice, the dive
plan actually looks and behaves very differently. You do not get the
same dive plan. An example:
I created three instances of the dive plan shown at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve0ms1550aaa1bj/DivePlan1.png
Here they are shown in the dive list:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7xwu9gq4db10xl/DiveList1.png
Here are the three profiles resulting from this plan:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w2bhnyd4df1qis/DiveProfiles1.jpg
I suspect that, perhaps, dive no. 3 is considered a repetitive dive
after dive no. 2 in the dive list, i.e. the dive planner sees the other
dive plans listed in the dive list????

USER INTERFACE
1) Scaling buttons: Please use '+' for magnification and '-' for
reducing the image. The two present buttons '+'=reduce, 'v'=magnify are
totally counter-intuitive.

2) When entering the durations of dive segments, please allow entering
the durations that applies to a specific segment only. Look at this
screendump from VM-Plan that I sometimes look at:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/27q6watntoxayg0/VM-PLan1.png
The interface is easy to work with because one does not have to do the
mental calculation of the total time duration. VM_Plan calculates that
automatically.

3) Allow for a larger range of gas mixes, specifically with respect to
EANx and trimix. VM-Plan does this this by allowing the user to
pre-define a gas mixture (see image above), thus accepting any arbitrary
gas composition.

4) The completed dive plans are stored with the rest of the regular
dives. I have not managed to discover a way to modify an existing dive
plan (e.g. alter bottom duration, change gas mixture). There is a strong
need for a more interactive and iterative modeling environment at that
level, in the same way that it is now highly interactive in setting up
an individual dive plan before saving it.

Having said this, I can only complement the developers who have gotten
the planning interface so far. It knocks the hell out of any other open
source software that I have seen and it reflects the amount of time and
care that has gone into implementing this feature. This is making
Subsurface so much more than just a simple dive log program and I think
it is so far beyond what the original expectations of the software were.

Kind regards,
willemf