Problems with dive planning module.

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Thu Oct 17 06:34:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Having spent a lot of time playing around with the Dive planning module,
> trying to do anything (even stupid) that a user might attempt. There are
> several issues:

Cool, lets fix them.

> BUGS
> 1) Setting the 'Last stop at 6m' setting has no effect at all on the final
> dive plan.

True, I didnt hook up that ( and had completely forgotten about that ) - I
will fix that as soon as i can.

> 2) Scaling:  The scaling on the Time axis of the plan, using the '+' and
> 'v' buttons: If you magnify along the time axis using the 'v' button, even
> after full scale has been reached, it keeps record of the number of clicks.
> So if you click 'v' 5 times after full scale has already been reached and
> then you then want to reduce the size of the profile along the time axis,
> one needs to to click the '+' button 6 times before the image is reduced.
> It looks like a pointer is updated or increased every time one hits the 'v'
> button, and decreased every time one hits the '+' button. But this happens
> irrespective of whether the image of the profile has actually changed. I
> have managed to hang Subsurface several times now (having had to force-kill
> the process) by hitting the 'v' button several times after full
> magnification and then the '+' button, trying to reduce the size of the
> image. It seems that the 'v' button should only lead to any action
> (including background management) if the image is not at maximum size.
> Maybe the '+' button also needs attention with respect to the status of the
> graphics display. I hope this is understandable!

it is understandable, ill check the code - i didnt implemented the way that
you are describing, but i may be missing something.

> 3) Several dive plans in dive list: When a dive plan is saved, it gets
> listed in the dive list, together with all one's other real-world logged
> dives. Now, if one creates the same dive plan more than twice, the dive
> plan actually looks and behaves very differently. You do not get the same
> dive plan. An example:
> I created three instances of the dive plan shown at:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/**ve0ms1550aaa1bj/DivePlan1.png<https://www.dropbox.com/s/ve0ms1550aaa1bj/DivePlan1.png>
> Here they are shown in the dive list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/**
> p7xwu9gq4db10xl/DiveList1.png<https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7xwu9gq4db10xl/DiveList1.png>
> Here are the three profiles resulting from this plan:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/**2w2bhnyd4df1qis/DiveProfiles1.**jpg<https://www.dropbox.com/s/2w2bhnyd4df1qis/DiveProfiles1.jpg>
> I suspect that, perhaps, dive no. 3 is considered a repetitive dive after
> dive no. 2 in the dive list, i.e. the dive planner sees the other dive
> plans listed in the dive list????

that i dont know how to answer, will wait for someone else to.

> USER INTERFACE
> 1) Scaling buttons: Please use '+' for magnification and '-' for reducing
> the image. The two present buttons '+'=reduce, 'v'=magnify are totally
> counter-intuitive.

we are lacking designers =(

> 2) When entering the durations of dive segments, please allow entering the
> durations that applies to a specific segment only. Look at this screendump
> from VM-Plan that I sometimes look at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/**
> 27q6watntoxayg0/VM-PLan1.png<https://www.dropbox.com/s/27q6watntoxayg0/VM-PLan1.png>
> The interface is easy to work with because one does not have to do the
> mental calculation of the total time duration. VM_Plan calculates that
> automatically.
>

> 3) Allow for a larger range of gas mixes, specifically with respect to
> EANx and trimix. VM-Plan does this this by allowing the user to pre-define
> a gas mixture (see image above), thus accepting any arbitrary gas
> composition.

known bug, caused by me, will fix it.

> 4) The completed dive plans are stored with the rest of the regular dives.
> I have not managed to discover a way to modify an existing dive plan (e.g.
> alter bottom duration, change gas mixture). There is a strong need for a
> more interactive and iterative modeling environment at that level, in the
> same way that it is now highly interactive in setting up an individual dive
> plan before saving it.

this is missing rigth now, but ill add it in time for release.

> Having said this, I can only complement the developers who have gotten the
> planning interface so far. It knocks the hell out of any other open source
> software that I have seen and it reflects the amount of time and care that
> has gone into implementing this feature. This is making Subsurface so much
> more than just a simple dive log program and I think it is so far beyond
> what the original expectations of the software were.

thanks, i really appreciate that. =)