print layout

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Oct 17 07:31:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-10-17 at 10:10 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> >> Like this
> >>
> >> +---------------------------+-----------------+-----------+------------------+
> >> | Gas used                  | SAC             | Max CNS   | Weights          |
> >> +------------+--------------+-----------------+-----------+------------------+
> >> | Divemaster | Buddy        | Suit            | Viz       | Rating           |
> >> | Don        | Linus        | 3mm wet         | ****      | *****            |
> >> +------------+--------------+-----------------+-----------+------------------+
> >> | Notes:                                                                     |
> >> | Best dive of the trip. No one drowned, we could see almost 3ft and made it |
> >> | it to seven minutes before the first diver surfaced                        |
> >> | More text about this amazing dive                                          |
> >> | Other things that happened                                                 |
> >> | Funny story where the regulator exploded                                   |
> >
> Even though the dive profile gives lots of information, I would expect
> all the standard information in dive logs, including:
> IN ADDITION  to the information in above table:

Here we go again

> Date
> Location

Yes

> Dive activity

no

> Type of water (Fresh/salt)

maybe

> Water surface condition

no

> Start time
> Dive duration
> Maximum depth
> Mean depth

Yes

> * Cylinder type and volume (e.g. 12l steel)

That's already there (AL80)

> * Start pressure of gas in cylinder
> * End pressure

no (at least not on the 6x1)

> For complex dives (>1 cylinder), information for the different stages
> (marked with asterisks above) would possibly be required??

And this is why we need templates. Yes, tec divers will care.
Recreational divers (95+% of the users) will never be in this situation.
so let's please design for the main target audience, first, and for the
minority later.

> Important thing is that a clear vision be identified as to information
> in the printed log, then decided what is possible within Version 4 of
> subsurface.

Clear vision: this is designed for the majority of divers, i.e. people
who dive with one tank and simply want to remember their dives. So what
they care about is when, where, with whom, how long, how deep, what did
I do. So the notes section needs to stay BIG.