Problems with dive planning module.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Oct 17 09:32:19 UTC 2013

On 17/10/2013 16:44, Robert Helling wrote:
> On 17.10.2013, at 16:39, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
>> If there is ONE feature that I regret having added, it's dive planning.
>> This has sucked an incredible amount of my time (for the Gtk version)
>> and now Tomaz' time with zero benefit to the vast majority of people.
>>
>> I am still tempted to keep the interactive input and simply drop the
>> planner as it seems absolutely not worth the pain it is causing. Not to
>> mention the risk if some bozo decides to dive this plan, gets bent for
>> whatever reason and then decides that this couldn't possibly have been
>> their fault.
> No no no! Maybe that's my observational bias but for me and my friends the planner (besides the beautiful profile) is the unique selling point for subsurface! Divelogs there are many. But there is no planner at all with a decent user interface. And to my mind, we are quite close here. Yes, there are things to do, but I would rate them worth every byte of code.
>
> Just my $.02
>
> Robert

All I can say is that I will be sad to see the planning module
disappear. If nothing else the planner has a strong teaching value. Like
it or not, a computerised planner is an essential tool for decompression
diving, even when using a sophisticated DC. Once when one starts playing
around with this type of tool do you realise the truism "every dive
(including a no-deco dive) is a decompression dive".
Kind regards,
willemf