Hack Night for Subsurface happened today.

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Thu Oct 31 18:59:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> I'll digitalize everything that she did and add a bit of explanation for
> everything tomorrow, but the interface will ( if accepted, but since she's
> an UX designer and we are mere programmers, I think we should follow her
> advice ) change a bit.

Just as long as we are careful. UX designers that aren't power-users
may think they have an idea of what is a good user interface, but if
they don't actually *use* it, they can easily be completely bogus. The
whole "edit multiple dives" is an example of actual functionality that
may not be obvious from a UI standpoint, but that makes for a huge
difference when actually using the program.

Or look at the different modes for location editing: the map may well
be a really nice UX way to pinpoint the dive, but if the *use* case is
that you got GPS coordinates from some other source, the map editing
may well be a really nice way to screw up location by mistake...

            Linus