Import XP5 dive data from Seemann software

Berthold Cogel cogel at uni-koeln.de
Tue Sep 3 16:29:26 UTC 2013

Am 03.09.2013 08:16, schrieb Miika Turkia:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Berthold Cogel <cogel at uni-koeln.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 28.08.2013 01:36, schrieb Linus Torvalds:

>>> There's no "specification" for an import file format, but the native
>>> subsurface xml is a very readable ASCII file, and subsurface will
>>> import pretty much anything that looks remotely like xml, guessing (if
>>> required) its way to something half-way reasonable. So turning some
>>> other file into xml that looks even remotely like the native
>>> subsurface xml will probably go a long way.
>>>
>>> What kind of ascii files are the Seeman Sub files? Are you willing to
>>> share a few examples (possibly together with screen-shots of how the
>>> dive looks in the native software, just so that we can match up units
>>> etc)? We've written importers for various things, and it's not
>>> necessarily all that hard.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, some files are so obscured on purpose (I'm looking at
>>> you, Cochran) that importing them is totally impossible. The fact that
>>> yours are ASCII
>>>
>>>             Linus
>>>

>> I made screenshots of three dives. One was with nitrox. And I imported
>> the data in spreadsheets. The fields are separated by tabs. You can
>> download the files together with the exported ASCII files:
>>
>> http://www.uni-koeln.de/~a0537/XP5.zip
>

> Is the export file always "obfuscated" in German or can you export it also
> in another language? Is the export unit always metric?
>
> I had a discussion yesterday on IRC of importing a similar export file
> (from AP Logviewer), ticket number 103. In this case the export looked
> quite similar, but without the general information, just the table of
> samples.
>
> I'll take a look into some XSLT files that state they can convert CSV files
> into XML. It would be really nice if we could just use our existing import
> infrastructure to read in also these CSV files.
>
> miika

There's something that might help...

I found the old installation package which was a german version
(v1.0.3). In the same folder I had a version of Oceanlog (V2.2.6) which
looks very similar to the Seemann version. Now I remember that I tried
to import the XP5 data into Oceanlog because this software works with
Windows 7. It didn't work and I had to use the virtual XP with the
Seemann software.

Btw.: To me the XP5 looks like the Oceanic Veo 1.0.

Berthold