Ascend rate from 5m [was: Re: Things that don't work right now]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Sep 16 16:57:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 18:00 -0400, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 17:52 +0100, Chris Lewis wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for top post. Stupid phone client.
> > > I have vpm sources for you to work on a new deco module. Will send
> > tonight.
> > > Tomaz or Thiago will respond on the Qt question.
> > > But: 5 minutes for the ascend from 5m to the surface? Good luck with
> > that. I'm sure that's the safest way to do it. But I can't imagine
> > anyone doing it.
> > >
> > > /D
> > >

> > In the UK at least, a 1m/min ascent rate is what's taught in technical
> > classes from 6m up. As far as I'm aware, is certainly what some people
> > strive to achieve.
>
> Very impressive. And totally unrealistic on a dive boat.
> I did 2 min from 5m to the surface. The dive guide was starting to get
> worried about me.
>
> 90% of divers take < 1 min from 5m to the surface. And I have yet to
> meet a single diver who took more than maybe 2.

Hmm - I am wondering if maybe we are misunderstanding the
recommendation. I haven't seen it in its technocratic German beauty, but
if I look at my profiles from today I did in fact take 5 minutes from
5m. I spend 3 minutes at about 5m and then 2 minutes coming up to the
surface for a total of 5 minutes for the last 5m. Is that what they are
talking about?