add dive implementation pushed

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Fri Sep 20 07:52:42 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-20 16:08, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-09-20 at 09:04 -0500, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I recommend we work with the dates like Git does:
> - let the user input them as local time
> - use QDateTime to convert to universal time + offset
> - store as universal time + offset
>
> No - that doesn't work in the context of a divelog. Divecomputers
> universally use localtime. Some claim to have TZ offsets (like the
> Uemis), but that's just "FYI". All time stamps are always local time.

That's not 100% correct. There are a few dive computers (reefnet and
uwatec) that rely on the host clock to convert from "device" time to
"human" time. Currently libdivecomputer assumes the downloaded dives
where done in the same timezone as the host system. But that is not
necessary correct. For example, if I'm on a diving trip in some
different timezone and download the dives when I'm back home, using
localtime is simply wrong. What you get here is in fact utc time, and
ultimately the user has to tell us the timezone to convert that to
localtime at the dive site!

Jef