add dive implementation pushed

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen subsurface at henrik.synth.no
Sat Sep 21 13:01:50 UTC 2013

Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-09-21 at 11:56 +0200, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
>> (1) when I double click one of the nodes on the graph, I'm unable to
>> exit that dialog (see http://imgbin.org/images/15123.png) or save the
>> dive.
>
> Simply pick one of the values and the dialog goes away. Yes, Escape
> should close it, too. And of course you should be able to add your own
> gas, not just one of the three standard gases.

Hehe, did you really believe I didn't try all of those?  Once that
dialog is open (at least on my Mac) it's impossible to close it.

>> (2) I think there's too many nodes on the graph, the user will have to
>> move too many of them.  Not user friendly.  So:
>>      - either add an initial dialog where the dive depth can be
>> entered, and the graph can be created after that
>>      - or (my favorite) just create *two* nodes, with a fairly square
>> graph
>
> How about *four* nodes and we include a safety stop? So I'll remove the
> 15 minutes at the shallower depth.

I still believe two are best, just make the ascent slow enough.  With
two nodes, the user only have to move at most two points, which still is
just slightly more painful (but still slightly more cool!) than typing
"20".  Upping that to four nodes makes it worse IMHO.

>> (3) I got a "ASSERT failure in QVector<T>::at: "index out of range",
>> file /opt/local/include/QtCore/qvector.h, line 351" when trying to
>> edit the first node, with a subsequent crash.  Haven't been able to
>> reproduce it, but still...:
>>

> Stick a qDebug("I'm at row %d", row); in there and see what triggers it.
> What exactly do you mean by 'edit the first node'? Move it around? I can
> do that til the cows come home...

I just selected it and moved it around slightly.  I'll try reproduce it.

>> (4) The graph symbols at the top left and bottom right are still
>> unintuitive and fairly ugly.  (ref. that screenshot in (1))
>
> Luisa is working on making those gorgeous and intuitive. So let's just
> wait and see (I believe she and Tomaz are out diving today so all this
> will hopefully make more sense to her once she's seen what this is all
> about).

Indeed! Looking forward to that :)

Here you go: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cIQrqMVmnv

> Thanks for the detailed feedback!