Aeris freediving computers (F10/F11)?

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Wed Sep 25 01:45:02 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-25 10:08, Gabriel Rossetti wrote:
> I am looking for a Freediving watch computer which I can hook up to my
> PC
> (Linux). I read good reviews on the ones Aeris has, specifically I'm
> interested in the F10 v2.
>
> This is my first dive computer so please excuse any dumb questions I
> may
> ask :-). I was wondering how well Subsurface works with freediving
> computers (since they are missing the scuba specific functions)?

I'll leave the subsurface part of the question to others...

> I saw that Aeris is supported but didn't see those computers
> specifically
> listed. That could either mean nobody has tested, that is isn't
> supported
> or that they all use the same protocol so they are all supported. The
> "..."
> Make me think the later.

The Aeris F10 is a supported device, which means it has been tested at
least once. Although there is no guarantee, it will probably work fine
for you too.

Under the hood, all recent Oceanic (and related brands like Aeris)
devices use the same protocol. But the memory layout and data format is
usually slightly different for every model. Thus the low level
communication will typically work out of the box for a new device, but
the parsing will likely fail. So the chances that a new device will just
work, without any changes to the code, is quite low.

Jef