CPU hogging in the current master

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Sep 26 15:38:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 14:56 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > I may do a first private version for myself that only saves in a
> > non-xml format..
>
> Hmm. So I haven't finalized this, but I have a trial format that is
> basically our simplified xml, but without the xml crap. The plan is
> that I can feed it to our stupid xml parser by "faking" the xml part,
> rather than actually using that horrible libxml. And my stupid fake
> parser would be purely line-based.

Not sure I understand the "faking the xml part" comment...

> No begin/end tags.. No quoting, because there are no special
> characters except for a field that can have multiple lines (ie notes),
> and then that is defined by the next line having the first non-space
> character being '|'. I guess you can call that "quoting" (technically
> it's an odd quoting of the newline).

Your example doesn't include the notes

> I might end up quoting the quote character just to allow the nice
> "let's put dive computer names etc in quotes", but I haven't decided
> yet. I might just give those kinds of tags lines of their own.
>
> And samples are special. Drop the 'time' and 'depth' nametags
> entirely, since they always have to be there.

Good.

> Attached is what my last dive in Florida looks like with the
> (partially) done format I have in mind. Not final. Design goal: still
> be very much human-readable, while being denser than the xml (by
> dropping all the crap) and still having the tags so that we can allow
> basically arbitrary extensions.
>
> Is anybody so married to xml that they hate the idea of having a
> native subsurface file format that is basically de-crapified xml with
> some hardcoded formatting knowledge (ie that format for a sample line
> etc)?

I like it. A lot.

Questions:

are we leaving it uncompressed in the file format or are we going to
compress it by default?

any line starting with a number or a + is a sample? I notice that you
don't have a "from here on out it's samples" keyword

how are we creating trips?