New file format [was: CPU hogging in the current master]

Benjamin nystire at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 23:14:31 UTC 2013

If the whole file is compressed, that would mean uncompressing the entire
file itself in order to load specific records from it. If the records were
compressed, then we could have (in theory - need to find that paper about
searching for compressed data...) much faster access to the individual
records within the data file with the slight trade-off of a larger data
file.

Would Subsurface ever support saturation diving? If so, wouldn't that
mm[:']ss become rather unwieldy/annoying due to it's high resolution? :)