Ruler and toolbar for the profile

Maximilian Güntner maximilian.guentner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 07:04:01 UTC 2013

Thanks for your input, Lubomir.

2013/9/27 Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>:
> cont'd.
> - also, it may be best to move the ruler graphics (lines + text) on
> top of all other elements (z order).
Please have a look at the attached patch. The ruler is now the last
element added to the scene() (-> on top).

>> here are some observations and suggestions:
>> - if the ruler is enabled then perhaps the toolTip (info panel) should
>> not be. the problem here is that the first control point of the ruler
>> lies under the tooltip and cannot be accessed. i think the ruler
>> toggle should switch the toolTip on/off.

This can be easily done with one LOC but I am not sure whether this is
really beneficial.
I think that the toolTip is still useful together with the ruler.

>> - the ruler text perhaps should scale proportionally instead of
>> attempting to fit the text into the provided rectangle (using
>> drawText()). then if an area is way too small the user can use the
>> scroll wheel to zoom in and read the ruler text. the alternative to
>> that is to not put text inside the ruler, but outside of it, for
>> example at the bottom of the profile left from the toolbar. i was
>> going to suggest to place the ruler text in the toolTip, but there is
>> a problem with this solution (1.). without text readability the ruler
>> is not useful for small distances.

I initially wanted to add the text to the toolTip but with all options
enabled and the ruler
added to the profile, the toolTip would become a massive block of
random information.
Also it may confuse the user when the text is not directly associated
with ruler (i.e. displayed on top/bottom of the ruler).
I don't like the idea of scaling the text to a fixed Rect size since
this adds another accessibility barrier for
first time or inexperienced users who don't know that there is a zoom
function (or don't have a scroll wheel).
Maybe we can come up with an alternative - like scaling the text when
the distance between the two points
is smaller than X.
Let me know what you think.

>> - there is a printMode flag which should be respected, as it controls
>> the visibility of some profile elements when printing. the toolbar and
>> ruler should not be visible for printMode == true.
The toolBar is already not being added to the profile when in
printMode. I fixed the behavior of the ruler
in the attached patch.
>> lubomir
>> --

Maximilian