New file format [was: CPU hogging in the current master]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Sep 27 07:10:33 UTC 2013

On Sep 26, 2013, at 11:14 PM, Benjamin wrote:

> If the whole file is compressed, that would mean uncompressing the entire file itself in order to load specific records from it. If the records were compressed, then we could have (in theory - need to find that paper about searching for compressed data...) much faster access to the individual records within the data file with the slight trade-off of a larger data file.

Since the data will be uncompressed as you read the file and will then reside in memory, I see no advantage of compressing on a per record basis.

> Would Subsurface ever support saturation diving? If so, wouldn't that mm[:']ss become rather unwieldy/annoying due to it's high resolution? :)

We have no interest in supporting saturation diving. On the flip side, many of us have DCs with 5s resolution - some are even configurable to do less. So there's ample justification for mm:ss format.