Ruler and toolbar for the profile

Salvador Cuñat salvador.cunat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 12:19:26 UTC 2013

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 03:00:00AM +0200, Maximilian Güntner wrote:
> Maybe we can add an option for that to the settings dialog or
> calculate the average velocity for the whole dive
> and switch between m/s / m/min depending on that (say 0.3 m/s - 18m/min).

Hi Maximilian.

Definitely I think scuba divers need the speed in m/min.
Obviously free divers measure ascent time in seconds, so this must be
their reference unit.
Noting that a lot of divers do both styles, the ideal seems let
subsurface decide if the dive is free or scuba and apply the correct
units. This may be a non trivial task depending on how the different
computers register the free dives and you'll need to decide where to put
the limit for scuba vertical speed (I'd consider only ascensional speed
as descent speed tends to be higher), let's say 30 m/min (0.5 m/s); I
think it's a very low speed for free divers and almost kamikaze for
scuba divers (at least with the actual parameters).

Hope have been of some help.

Regards.

Salva.