Update Checking

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 2 10:54:01 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 09:56 +0300, Joshua Joseph wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org>
> wrote:
>         BTW: is there a QT function that gives us a nice "OS Version"?
>         I looked at QSysInfo and that's not all that useful.
>
>         I was thinking of something like a little more versatile :-)
>

> Hi Dirk,
>

> See the attached updated patch, I hope it is OK. I am still working on
> the OS detection feature.

We are making progress...

Thiago had a a couple of good points regarding the UpdateManager object
and using the QNetworkAccessManager singleton  - could you fix that?

Also - you are disabling the menu entry on Linux... I know that I said I
wouldn't want an automatic check to run on Linux, but it might still be
useful for people to be able to check what the latest version is - just
in that case the answer likely wouldn't be a download link but instead
something like "a newer version has been released, please check with
your distribution regarding availability".

And in order to make this easier to do, why don't you print the response
body as part of the 'else' clause (where right now you just print
"Subsurface was unable to check for updates" -- actually that text is
wrong, anyway - we checked for updates but didn't get back a download
link - that's different from not being able to check).

Sorry this sounds like a lot of criticism. I like where this is going. I
just want a few things differently :-)
I'm willing to take a version of the patch before you and Thiago figure
out the OS detection. But the current version still needs some work :-)