Accessing the Uwatec galileo

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Fri Apr 4 03:50:19 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-04 12:02, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> Would users of the Galileo dive computers please comment on the
> following text that is intended for the user manual?
>
> The Uwatec Galileo dive computers use infra red (IrDA) communication
> between the dive computer and Subsurface. Under Linux, the kernel
> already provides for communication using the IrDA protocol. However,
> the user additionally needs to load the drivers for the IrDA interface
> with the dive computer. The easiest way is to load the irda-tools
> package from http://irda.sourceforge.net/docs/startirda.html. After
> the installation of the irda-tools, a device name can be specified
> from the console as follows:
> irattach irda0
> After executing this command, Subsurface will recognise the Galileo
> dive computer and download dive information.

The IrDA page you are referring to is pretty old. I'm not sure how
relevant the info still is. I had the impression that on modern Linux
distributions, manual setup is no longer required. But I don't own any
IrDA hardware, so I'm not really sure about that.

> I need to know how Windows and Mac users achieve communications with
> Galileo using Subsurface.

On Windows, I think all you need is the driver for the IrDA dongle.

On Mac the answer is even easier: IrDA is NOT supported at all!

Jef