Unclear functions in Subsurface UI

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sat Apr 5 09:35:22 PDT 2014

On 05/04/2014 16:38, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 07:35 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>> I am updating the material for the user manual. Here are a few things I
>> struggle to understand about the UI:
>>
>> 1) Export HTML Word Map on File item of main menu. This generates an
>> HTML world map with no information superimposed on it. Is this function
>> fully operational yet? I cannot see the purpose of this option??
I thought it might be a browser problem (plugin required maybe) but I
get identical results with Firefox and with Chrome. I attach the html
for test12.xml. Looks like the coordinates refer to Norway somewhere.
Its therefore clearly also not a southern hemisphere problem (sign of
the latitude variable). Am I that thick not to be able to solve this?
> It is. But only if you have dives with locations. We have some dives
> like that in our test dives. Run
> subsurface dives/test1*.xml
> and then export the World Map. Now you should see dives on it.
>
>> 2) The Preferences Units panel, the checkbox at the bottom 'Show units
>> in text labels'. This does not appear to produce any noticeable effect
>> in any of the panels. What does this option do?
> IIRC that only makes a difference when manually adding a dive.
> We should simply remove the option and ALWAYS do that. Could you file a
> bug on that (I'm just about to leave the house)
I think your idea is good. Will do.

>> 3) The Preferences Graph panel, the checkbox 'unused cylinders'. What
>> about unused cylinders? What does this do?
> It's under the "Show" header, isn't it?
> So this is asking if the user wants to be shown unused cylinders :-)
I added lots of cylinders to existing dives and I could not find any
information about unused cylinders on any of the panels.
Therefore the question. Where should one look?

Kind regards,
willemf