Unclear functions in Subsurface UI

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Apr 5 13:47:41 PDT 2014

On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 18:35 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 05/04/2014 16:38, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > On Sat, 2014-04-05 at 07:35 +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> >> I am updating the material for the user manual. Here are a few things I
> >> struggle to understand about the UI:
> >>
> >> 1) Export HTML Word Map on File item of main menu. This generates an
> >> HTML world map with no information superimposed on it. Is this function
> >> fully operational yet? I cannot see the purpose of this option??
> I thought it might be a browser problem (plugin required maybe) but I
> get identical results with Firefox and with Chrome. I attach the html
> for test12.xml. Looks like the coordinates refer to Norway somewhere.
> Its therefore clearly also not a southern hemisphere problem (sign of
> the latitude variable). Am I that thick not to be able to solve this?

OK, this part is addressed. Locale problem. We have a fix from Linus
that I like.

> >> 2) The Preferences Units panel, the checkbox at the bottom 'Show units
> >> in text labels'. This does not appear to produce any noticeable effect
> >> in any of the panels. What does this option do?
> > IIRC that only makes a difference when manually adding a dive.
> > We should simply remove the option and ALWAYS do that. Could you file a
> > bug on that (I'm just about to leave the house)
> I think your idea is good. Will do.

A patch that implements this has been pushed, the preferences option is
gone.

> >> 3) The Preferences Graph panel, the checkbox 'unused cylinders'. What
> >> about unused cylinders? What does this do?
> > It's under the "Show" header, isn't it?
> > So this is asking if the user wants to be shown unused cylinders :-)
> I added lots of cylinders to existing dives and I could not find any
> information about unused cylinders on any of the panels.
> Therefore the question. Where should one look?

Look at the attached dive (which I just added as test dive to the git
repository). If you switch to the equipment tab you will see two tanks
(if you have show unused cylinder on) or one tank (same option off).

Note that if you manually add cylinders we override this option manually
so the cylinders don't disappear on you :-)