[RFC] Operating system name/version detection

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Apr 10 13:15:43 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 22:31 +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 10 April 2014 20:57, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > i've tried building on linux but i get some linker errors with:
> >  libgit2-0                              0.18.0
> > will have to find why is that.
> >

> ok, managed to compile after defeating libgit2's not-so-obvious lack
> of of proper -rpath and -soname in terms of 'make install'.
>
> joshua,
>
> the class is working fine, but on Ubuntu 12.04 it just says "Linux",
> which i'm not sure is sufficient for the updater (i don't know the
> original idea here).
>
> for debian based this should be done:
> int fd = QT_OPEN("/etc/lsb-release", O_RDONLY);
>
> for fedora "/etc/os-release" seems fine.
>
> in general a file /etc/*-release should contain this extra bit of information.
> but note there is different formatting in these files (ughh...), e.g :
> DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
> DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
> DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
> DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"

Oh of course. How could we possibly assume that Ubuntu behaves like
other Linux versions.

I will give my usual response. I don't care. I consider the fact that
Subsurface compiles and runs on Ubuntu a coincidence but not one of my
goals for the project.

I suggest to simply fall through and call any Ubuntu release "other".