Ceiling Icons

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Apr 13 11:59:44 PDT 2014

On 11/04/2014 20:49, Luisa Pires wrote:
> Willem,
>
> I agree, if the graph is red, the graph in the button should be red as
> well. I'm attaching the new version.
>
> Regarding the last three..if they work kind of as options of data
> visualization, with more or less detail, within the same
> function/graph, maybe they shouldn't be three separated buttons,
> coexisting in the same level with other ones that control completely
> different graphs.
>
> If the first one has to be activated for the other two to work, maybe
> these two have to be bellow it's level of hierarchy. My first thought
> was to suggest making them only one button, which would have three
> stages: on the first click, the ceiling, on the second click, the
> ceiling with tissue differentiation and on the third, the more
> conservative ceiling with increments of 3m at a time.
>
> The down side is, that solution would demand two extra clicks whenever
> a diver wanted to view the conservative ceiling, for example.So, I'd
> like to suggest only one button, that would activate the ceiling
> graph, with two extra smaller buttons related to it, that would add 1-
> the tissue and 2-the conservative graph, both on top of the ceiling
> graph. Mybe they could be activated at the same time, and the graph
> would contain the ceiling and these two additional information, all
> overlayed.
>
> I hope I could explain myself. What do you think?
>
> Luisa

> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
> <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>>:
>
>     Luisa,
>
>     I attach 3 screenshots of a dive. The red line at the bottom is
>     the graph of heart rate, the one that should be en/disabled by the
>     button you spoke about. Maybe the graph on your button may be red
>     as well, since it is in red on the dive profile?
>
>     The first attached image, ceiling.png: This is when the button
>     with the diver and the up-arrow is activated. The ceiling is shown
>     in green. This graph is actually a summary of the ceilings in a
>     number of body tissues.
>
>     A ceiling at any point along the dive is virtual ceiling in the
>     sense that is is not physical like a cave roof. But it is real in
>     the sense that if the diver penetrated the ceiling at that point
>     in time, he/she is likely to injure him/herself because of the
>     large amount of nitrogen that has been accumulated in the body
>     because of the high water pressures during the dive. I hope this
>     one-sentence explanation makes sense.
>
>     The second one tissues.png. This is when your mystery button is
>     activated. This is when the ceiling is shown, differentiating
>     between the different tissues that are saturated with nitrogen.
>     This is the button that you do not understand that you asked about
>     in your mail.
>
>     The third one 3m.png, shown the same information, but with
>     increments of 3m at a time. This is when your stepwise button is
> [...]
Luisa,

Thank you for your careful thoughts. I think Tomaz and Dirk need to
comment, as this is not my area of expertise whatsoever. The most simple
solution would be to ensure that each of the three ceiling buttons work
independently. In the previous version of Subsurface, there were three
preset radio buttons for ceilings on the preferences panel. In essence,
activating a button on the current toolbar is like launching the program
with a different set of preset radio buttons on the preferences panel.

Yet, I must say I find your suggestion very appealing of reducing the
number of buttons on the present toolbar if it could be done in an
efficient way.
Kind regards,
willemf