Some more suggestions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Apr 18 10:10:55 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-18 at 11:41 +0100, Marcin Małecki wrote:
> Since my previous suggestion were well received I thought some more
> about other features I might recommend.
>
> 1) Default cylinder - at the moment you can select a default cylinder.
> This is useful to a point. Once you start diving with two cylinders like
> for example main tank and a stage or pony it would be good to be able to
> set second default cylinder. So immediately on adding new dive it reads
> dive computer date and assigns it into cylinders. On a dive computer
> which takes multiple cylinders and gas mixes you can set multiple
> cylinders as 1,2,3,4,5 and so on. If you could also have default
> cylinders in the application then it would be helpful. I see this
> feature as two stage selection: firstly you select number of cylinders,
> then order them as you want and set defaults for each place.

We removed much of the default cylinder logic because the use cases are
just way too complicated and user specific. There is no simple logic
that matches what the majority of people actually do.

> 2) Default weights - since there is an option of selecting what weights
> you carry why not an option of setting default weights? This is likely
> to be in two stages again: firstly setting number of separate weight
> placements (weights in 1,2,3,4 places) secondly setting kg and locations
> (ankle, belt, tank, integrated, etc.)

Again, too many patterns to get this right. There's a correlation with
the suit that you are wearing, but also with the gear that you are
using.

> 3) Empty space on the profile graph - when dive profile is charted some
> space is left unused on the right hand side. This space varies with
> dives. On shorter dives over 50% of the graph area is unused on longer
> dives about 15%. It would look better if only say 3% of the available
> area was left empty.

This is actually an intentional design decision. The way Subsurface
works you can get a good idea of the relative length of dives when
scrolling through the dive list. So we have a minimum duration (and
depth) and only increase those in discrete steps.

> 4) Dives which were manually added have "unknown divecomputer" as
> computer name. As far as I know this can only be edited in xml file
> directly. It would be useful to have the ability to name it and also to
> change it in dives already added.

It should say "manually added dive"

> 5) Divelogs upload of modified dives - I upload my dives onto divelogs.
> Sometimes however I make modification to notes after I uploaded them. It
> would be good if I could then upload them again from Subsurface and
> changes would be uploaded. I guess this has more to do with how the
> interface of the website is set up rather then the app but I thought I
> mention this as well.

Yes, that's an issues with how closely Rainer is willing to integrate
with Subsurface :-)

> 6) List of tags in preferences - I believe it would be useful to see
> list of all available/added tags and add/modify/delete them in
> preferences. If tag has no dives associated it can be deleted without
> question if it has question would pop up saying that tag has associated
> dives and will be removed from those dives when deleted. If tag is
> renamed all instances of such tag would have newly renamed tag instead
> of the old one.

Interesting idae

> 7) Tags in statistics - this follows on from the above improvement. All
> tags used should have number associated with them showing number of
> dives with this tag. The best place for this would be as part of stats
> tab I think.

Also a great idea

> Hope this helps

Sure does. Your feedback is very appreciated