RFC: phone home

Tim Wootton tim at tee-jay.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 14:38:26 PDT 2014

Hi Dirk,

I know my contribution to subsurface has been tiny compared to most
here, but here's my 2p (or 2c if you prefer), feel free to ignore it,
but you did ask:

Let me start with, I'm not a fan of phone home. I'm sure there's way
more of it goes on elsewhere than any of us are really aware of. If it
is going to happen here, then your up-front approach in letting the user
know exactly what and when, and giving them the choice is absolutely the
right thing to do imho.

As to the data gathered, does it really help to know the distribution of
users by OS, after all if it turned out that 1 platform accounted for
only 1% of users would anyone consider dropping or diverting effort away
from it? If not, why does it matter? Regarding the total number of
users, I'd imagine the number of downloads from the website would be
vaguely indicative in much the same way as responses from a
self-selected "phone home" sample would be vaguely indicative.

cheers,

Tim