android sync

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Aug 1 13:04:49 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 10:14:22AM -0400, Jim B wrote:

> I wish there was a forum for subsurface for basic questions, please let me
> know if there is.

There isn't, really. So far people came to this mailing list with
questions... I guess we could add such a mailing list...

> I have two questions:
>
> When imperial measurement is selected in settings, should the graph still
> show SAC in liters per minute?

No, if should show cuft/min - and it does for me... where exactly is it
showing l/min for you?

> How is the android synchronization supposed to work?  I obtained and
> entered a user identifier in both the PC and android applications, but only
> see a dive called "test" that I created from within the android app.  I
> thought I would see all the dives I imported from my computer or entered
> manually.

Oh, look through the manual. The Android Companion app right now is NOT an
extension of Subsurface to Android, but it's a way to aquire GPS locations
for your dive sites. So the Companion app on the phone allows you to get a
GPS fix right before or after the dive, or, if you use it in background
mode you can get such a fix every few minutes or whenever your location
changes by a certain amount. Then you can just keep the service running
and after you come back from your trip you can match those locations with
your dives and get correct GPS coordinates that way.