test binaries for Beta 5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Aug 6 09:29:47 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 06:14:32PM +0200, Joakim Bygdell wrote:
> >> Swedish localization - Note I an not a native speaker and have not
> >> been in Sweden for 6 years, so excuse me if what I'm reporting is
> >> actually my poor Swedish skills.
> >> Days of week in notes and dive list end in "en" rather than "dag".
> >> E.g. freen, lören, sören instead of fredag, lördag, söndag (Friday,
> >> Saturday, Sunday).
> >
> > Hehe, I'll leave this one to the Swedish speakers to argue about :-)
>
> Day names should NOT end with “en” when the abbreviated name is used.
>
> I went back and looked at how the dive list looked in V4.1, “Sön, jul, 6” which is a correctly abbreviated date.
> in the latest beta binary it states “Sönen den 6:e jul” which is completely wrong.
> Someone have made a change to dive list that removes the comma after the abbreviated day name and replaced this with “en den”.
> That might be correctly IF the full name of the day and month is used and not the abbreviated name, in that case we get “Söndagen den 6:e juli” which is correct also.

Hmm - in trying to avoid such issues I switched to using Qt to give us
correctly localized names - but it didn't have the formats that we needed
so I had to manipulate what's there...

We're replacing weekday and month name with abbreviations - which works
fine in the languages that I speak but appears to fail in Swedish, based
on what you say. Oops.

We mangle "dddd'en' 'den' d:'e' MMMM yyyy" into "ddd'en' 'den' d:'e' MMM yyyy"
bsically replacing long day name and month name with their short
alternatives.

I don't know how many languages this creates a problem for. I don't really
want to use the long names for space reasons. Another option would be to
special-case this for Swedish :-(