Swedish dates [was: Re: test binaries for Beta 5]

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Aug 6 12:49:54 PDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:

> I know we process the CLDR data from unicode.org, but a rule like "use this on
> day 1 and use that on other days" is definitely not part of Qt. Most likely, we
> failed to parse and will need to add an exception.

Note that it's not about "1" being special and then "other days". It's
about how the ordinal number is spelled out when written
out/pronounced, like the English 1st, 2nd, 3rd. So it's ":a" for 1 and
2 (and 21,22,31,32,..) because it's "första" and "andra" (ends in
'a'), but then it's ":e" for other numerals ("tredje", "fjärde" etc -
ends in 'e').

In fact the rules are very similar to English, except you'd replace
"st" and "nd" with ":a", and "rd" and "th" with ":e". With the same
funny exceptions for the teens (ie the same way, and for the same
reasons, you don't write 11st in English, you don't write "11:a" in
Swedish - it's "eleventh" and "elfte", so "th" and ":e" respectively).
But then 21st -> 21:a (twenty-first, tjugoförsta)

             Linus