CCR

"Paul-Erik Törrönen" poltsi at 777-team.org
Thu Aug 7 06:37:14 PDT 2014

> CCR and sidemount are on the agenda.

Excellent..

> This is very much open heart surgery because it affects
> the very core of many of the crucial calculations also used for OC.

This is understandable, as it has been stated in previous maillist
conversations.

> The likely way of reading CCR dive logs will be similar to that of
> importing data from other databases into Subsurface. I foresee that the
> generalised import dialogue (Import->Import log files) will be used for
> this.

> It will not support direct download from the CCR system because
> libdivecomputer is unlikely to include support for such extremely
> divergent protocols and interfaces.

Yep. As I mentioned in the previous email to you:

I have been in contact with Martin at VMS (http://www.vmsrebreathers.com/
they took over the Sentinel from VR) about opening up the protocol to 3rd
party (such as libdivecomputer), but he insists on keeping it proprietary
and creating his/their own desktop software.

Beats me why, since it is in no way in their interest. I did plead that he
would at least consider including an export function to that software, so
that Sentinel users could then continue using their favourite log software
(ie. Subsurface).

> We need individuals who can help with testing the CCR infrastructure in
> Subsurface. What CCR system(s) do you use? Please help!

VR Sentinel.

However the intended import-feature is totally useless to me, since I'm
currently relying on a gauge-mode Suunto to record all normal dive
information, sans the gas consumption.

This means that unless the software provides me a way to define the dive
concurrent cylinder use (which would anyway be required by the sidemount
divers), then I would need to manually download the dive data from the DC,
add the cylinder information (of which I only have the start and end
pressure), then import it to Subsurface.

This seems like a waste of time since the format would be something
Suunto-ish, with multiple concurrent cylinders in use. Nothing that exists
in the real world.

Until VMS defacto provides a software which enables me to do export, my
intermediate solution will be to get a DC which understands setpoints
(Petrel or NSTC2/3), and trade the HelO2 for that, so that I get at least
approximate data out. This however still does not cover the fact that I
still will need to fill the cylinder information manually.

And yes, I intend to help in any way I can, since Subsurface is my choice
for divelogs.

Poltsi

--
Paul-Erik Törrönen   "When science and the Bible differ,
poltsi at 777-team.org   science has obviously misinterpreted