Swedish dates [was: Re: test binaries for Beta 5]

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Thu Aug 7 07:44:32 PDT 2014

On Wednesday 06 August 2014 12:49:54 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org>
wrote:
> > I know we process the CLDR data from unicode.org, but a rule like "use
> > this on day 1 and use that on other days" is definitely not part of Qt.
> > Most likely, we failed to parse and will need to add an exception.
>
> Note that it's not about "1" being special and then "other days". It's
> about how the ordinal number is spelled out when written
> out/pronounced, like the English 1st, 2nd, 3rd. So it's ":a" for 1 and
> 2 (and 21,22,31,32,..) because it's "första" and "andra" (ends in
> 'a'), but then it's ":e" for other numerals ("tredje", "fjärde" etc -
> ends in 'e').

Maybe we should convince the Royal Swedish Academy to adopt the Norwegian
rules. :-)

Ordinals in Norwegian simply get a period appended.

	først		1.
	andre	2.
	tredje	3.

$ LC_ALL=nb_NO.UTF-8 date
to. 07. aug. 11:43:47 -0300 2014

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358