Towards 4.3 :)

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Fri Aug 8 12:16:16 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the current release if I select multiple dives and I edit the bottles
> table, will I modify bottles for all the dives?
> I never was so audacious :-)

Yes you will.

Although the logic is a *bit* more subtle (and useful) than that.

If you have selected multiple dives, the current dive shown is still
special. It's your "primary" edit target, and that's the one that
always gets changed.

The other dives that are selected *only* get changed if
 (a) the primary dive was changed for that field
and
 (b) the other matched that primary dive before editing wrt that field

So you can select multiple dives, and edit multiple things (like
notes, dive buddy, cylinder data etc), but if the other dives already
had their own information that didn't match the current dive (ie you
had already written notes for an older dive) that information will not
be changed by the multi-dive edit.

For example, I usually try to download daily after the dives, and then
edit all the cylinder and weight information in one go. Filling out
that information dive by dive is tedious.

It *is* worth noting that we've had bugs in this area, and it was one
of the things that took a while for the Qt rewrite to catch up with
the old GTK one. But it's worked for me lately. So you might want to
be a bit careful when you use the multi-dive editing until you get
comfortable with it, but it's a *major* feature. Filling out equipment
information one dive at a time really is too inconvenient to be a
viable option.

               Linus