Partial push of Josh's configure-dive-computer GSoC project

Jef Driesen jefdriesen at telenet.be
Thu Aug 14 07:26:11 PDT 2014

On 2014-08-14 16:02, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

>> > Does it need that to BUILD or to WORK?
>>
>> Build. Without it, you're going to get undefined references to
>> hw_ostc3_*
>> functions.
>
> I would have VERY MUCH appreciated if you had included a #define on the
> libdivecomputer side that had would have allowed us to build this
> conditionally on the Subsurface side.

You can conditionally build on the DC_VERSION_CHECK(0,5,0) macro. That
would only break if you checkout a much older commit on the master
branch. But why would anyone want do that? The master branch is an
unstable development branch for a reason. But as promised I'm not
planning any backwards incompatible changes (from v0.4.x) until v0.5 is
released.

New functions can't break backwards compatibility, because they didn't
exist before. But if you start to use them, that of course means you now
have a dependency on v0.5 and not v0.4!

> We're right after the release so this isn't as big of a deal because we
> can talk to Jef to do a 0.5 release of libdivecomputer before we
> release
> 4.3 - but in general I dislike API changes in a library that I cannot
> conditionally compile for.

I plan to release v0.5 in the not too distant future. Probably the end
of September.

Jef