Partial push of Josh's configure-dive-computer GSoC project

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 06:20:13 PDT 2014

Months ago, when i started to use Subsurface, I asked to support Sensus
ultra devices. I helped Miika to understand their CVS format. Miika
implemented only the CSV import via their file. So the device must be
downloaded via their client.
The problem lies there. Their client is one of the worst piece of software
I ever seen. From their site you can see they do not update it from 2010.
The icing on the cake is their USB driver. They used a Prolific PL2303
driver widely used but just google for it and you will see tons of post of
people going crazy about it.

https://www.google.it/search?q=driver+usb+pl2303

On Windows XP it works but on Windows7 it fails on 90% of installations I
tried.
Moral of the story: I know of at least 12 sensus ultra lying in a drawer
just because after changing PC it was impossible to detect the device
connected.
I had to install a XP VM on my dive buddy box just to download his dives,
then he got bored and throw it away.
Moreover I don't see that Reefnet cares too much about it. And it's a
shame. I agree they fully documented their product but... no, you are not
supposed to be an space engineer to use a datalogger.

So IMHO, before spending time on a obsolete device, try to solve the
download problem.

Byeeee

> On 2014-08-19 13:53, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
>> I love heinrichsweikamp - I don't think we have another
>> vendor who has their detailed specs online so we can check what we are
>> doing
>>

> Reefnet also publishes very detailed specs for their Sensus data
> recorders. I believe they were actually the first ones, before HW even
> created the OSTC, although I'm not 100% sure about that.
>
> https://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/
>
> That's one good reason to make the Reefnet Sensus Ultra the next candidate
> for subsurface' configure dive computer feature. There are only about 4 or
> 5 settings, and the functionality is already available in libdivecomputer.
> So that shouldn't be too much work. For testing, the libdivecomputer
> simulator can be used, and I can test with my Sensus Ultra too.
>
> Jef

Davide